Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Off the hook.

My husband is a lucky, lucky man.

Because I am not a romantic sort of person, I have given him a free pass today. He is under no obligation to send flowers, buy anything, or take me anywhere in the name of Valentines Day, and by mutual agreement, I am off the hook too.

Maybe it's a function of getting older or maybe it's because we've been together nearly 20 years, but the big ostentatious displays of affection that are de rigeur for this day leave us both nonplussed. I know how he feels about me and vice versa, and to go out and blow money on overpriced bouquets and steak dinners just because it's a certain day of the year seems to be a bit of overkill. It's a relationship litmus test that, frankly, is stupid.

Is it my imagination or has Valentines Day morphed over the years from a sweet, token-of-affection holiday to an over-the-top commercial guilt fest? It seems everyone is all wrapped up in material displays of affection -- not just the card shops and jewelry stores but now car dealers are getting into the act. What? Buy your sweetie a car for Valentine's Day and show how much your love them? Oh, and use your tax refund check as a downpayment? How does this have anything to do with genuinely loving someone? Here, honey, have a new car... and a brand new payment book. Yikes.

The only concession we have made for the day has been to get Spawn a little token of love or two, because when you're Six it's all about the holidays, no matter what holiday it is. So we got the kid a card, some stickers, and a new music CD and are calling it a day. I might -- maybe -- make a pan of brownies tonight. But that's it.

And tomorrow everything with hearts on it will be at least 50% off. Today's news, tomorrow's fishwrap.

I am such a romantic.




-- Mox

No comments: