Tuesday, March 27, 2007

That's odd.

I love to watch people. Now that we've had a spate of warm days, people have come out of hibernation, and that means I've had a quite a lot to watch here lately.

Here's something that makes no sense to me: people who smoke a cigarette while riding a bicycle.

Is it just me, or is there something a little off about that?

I understand that not everyone has a car, or wants a car, or has access to public transportation, so they have to get around by whatever means possible. But you'd think that if you were going to ride a bicycle, you'd want to do it without a cigarette hanging out of your mouth.

Here's the thing: riding a bicycle takes two legs and two arms. And in the case of an incline, it also takes some lung and muscle power. Smoking a cigarette takes at least one hand/arm and some lung capacity. Why would anyone want to complicate something as simple as riding a bike with the added bother of having to keep up with a smoke?

I won't even get into the health stuff here. All I'll say about that is this: exercise = healthy; smoking = not so much.

People are funny.




-- Mox

2 comments:

Jay said...

More like sutpid.

I guess you're an optimist. "Funny" does sound better.

Mike said...

I think you're looking at it backwards. If someone chooses to smoke, shouldn't they do it while exercising?