Friday, January 12, 2007

Photo Friday: Quack Quack

This will be me over the weekend.

We are expecting a deluge this weekend, with forecast models predicting 2-5 inches of rain. Which I guess would be really bad if it were cold enough to turn it into snow, so who am I to complain, really?

Spawn's party is Saturday afternoon. Of the 24 invites we sent out, 11 have responded yes, two no, and the rest are just whistling in the dark. I'm assuming that means they will be no-shows, but have prepared enough goody bags to accomodate everyone, just in case.

A note on the subject of goody bags. This is a new development to me. We certainly didn't have goody bags at parties when I was a kid (back in the Stone Age), but somehow in thirty-odd years things have taken a turn for the worse, I guess. I hate the idea of goody bags. I know it's hard for little kids see another kid get all the presents but isn't that what a birthday party is? Why do we have to ease their greed by giving them a little cellophane sack of candy and crap? Shouldn't kids be allowed to learn to be a cheerful giver?

Anyway. I suppose I could take a stand and say "no goody bags on my watch" but like everyone else I am going to cave in to popular culture and just do it. It's not worth the fight.

Cake and ice cream, here we come.




-- Mox

2 comments:

Mike said...

One year we gave out cheapie books instead of traditional goodie bags. I doubt the kids liked them any better, but we felt good and sanctimonious.

Jen said...

I agree - the goodie bags don't make sense. But then neither did May baskets. Those have gone by the wayside (at least around here).